Out and About in Mumbai

So yesterday Jenny, one of the pre-lighters at R&H Mumbai, was kind enough to take me around Mumbai. She's grown up here, and without her it would have been impossible for me to see everything that we did. We saw one mosque, and what I like to think of as two and a half temples. It was really three temples, but one was so busy we didn't get that close to it.

First the mosque, out on an island, was very cool:



From India


From India


Here's a little vid of the same mosque.


Here's the view of the walkway leading to the island,
with the view of Mumbai in the background.



Then we went to a Hindu temple right in
the city. On the way there, I caught a glimpse
of this other small, off to the side, temple.
You wouldn't know from the photo that
this is surrounded by homes and high rises:

From India
But the main temple we were going to see was
too crowded. It was the day to go to temple,
actually, so there was a long line. So, we
headed off to another, much smaller temple, and
it was really spectacular:


From India


From India


From India

I suggest clicking on one of the photos above so you can get a better view of these
images. It'll take you right to the google album. 

There were lots of steps up to the temple, and on the landing of 
one of the steps was where a sadhu lived, he makes food for the poor:


From India

I asked and he let me take his picture.

From India

We also made a quick stop at the Hari Krishna temple
that was literally across the street, this is the same
group as the Hari Krishnas in America. They even
had a Govinda's restuarant:


From India

And our final temple of the day was Baganga, where the goddess Lakshmi was said to have touched the ground and the waters flowed forth. They're actually still flowing forth today.



From India

This was also a treat for me, because this was the same place that was often featured in the movie 'Outsourced' that I'd seen on the way over. Of course, that was depicted to be in a small Indian town, not next to one of the ritsy neighborhoods in Mumbai!

Finally we ended our day down by the Taj Hotel and the Gate of India, as there's some good shopping that way. :0)

However, I didn't really get the opportunity to buy much as I had to head back to work fora movie I was helping present. Here's my last photos for this entry, the Gate of India:

From India

Comments