Halloween and Dia De Los Muertos Weekend 2008 in LA

Hi Folks,

It's November 2nd, the Day After The Day of the Dead,
and what I used to consider and the year's High Holy Day
of Halloween.

I thought I'd post a few short and quirky videos I made
this weekend, both to share and to continually learn how
to use this new medium. I hope you can forgive the 'Cinema
Verite' handheld nature of some of these videos. I guess this
little camera has no stabilizer!

The first is of my co-worker Dan Lazarow. Dan is simply
a really, great guy. I loved this costume he picked for the
day at work, and he was kind enough to let me take a quick
video of him. Apparently his whole family dressed up
this way for Halloween:



It was really nice of him to let me post him
here. Isn't that wig really something? :0)

Then on Saturday my friends Dr. Dave, Andy and Saba
and I went and attended the annual Day of the Dead
celebration, Dia De Los Muertos,

On November 1st however, it turns into one of
the biggest Day of the Dead celebrations I've ever
been too. Their web site for the celebration is

The basic idea behind the celebration is that
people can spend one night a year with family
and friends who have passed away. That Halloween
and Nov 1st is when the veil between  the world of
the living and the dead is the most easy to crossover.
So elaborate alters are made by families and friends
to honor the person who has passed away, and food,
lights and flowers are set out to tempt the loved one
back for a night with the living.

Here's a few of the videos I took that night of
the celebrations. The first are some of the alters:

This one had a Pirates theme with little skeleton
sculptures.


Many of the alters are very beautiful, with elaborate
lighting, and decoration, honoring either family
and friends that have passed away, or groups of people,
like Iraq and Afghanistan War Veterans. Here's one with
beautiful lights, notice the face makeup of the women
tending the alter:


Or this one for people who were organ donors:


One of the big centers that night is the mausoleum,
where they had these wonderful 2 story sculptures
just outside the doors, and an art show inside:


They also have stages set up for entertainment,
actually about 4 stages altogether, here's one
of the largest. The MC is polling the political
climate of the audience, what a surprise their
reaction!


And some of the costumes can be a little elaborate.
Hopefully you can see this guys headdress,  even in
the low light:


And they also have some wonderful dancing, singing,
and performances from all over the Americas. For
instance, here's some very sweet dancing between
a couple:


Here's a snippet of a big mariachi band on a stage in a lake
in front of another large crypt:


And finally my personal favorite, because I liked the
music so much:


While going through this evening I often thought
of my friend Laura who runs a bed and breakfast
in Mexico called Casa Del Encanto. I wished I'd
been able to share this experience with her. I'm
sure she could have regaled me in marvelous stories
of Dia De Los Muertos in Mexico itself!

Well, I may have inundated you with a little too much
video here. But, as you can tell, I kind of like the idea
of this little camera, and it's handy-dandy-bloggable
qualities. I just hope I retain my audience in a month! :0)

With all my love,
Bob

Comments