Terrorist Attacks!

Well, here it is, about one day before I head out to Mumbai, and there are terrorist attacks on the city center, and major tourist hotels, where the terrorists were looking for Brits and Americans.

You know, I just don't think there's gonna be anything about this that's going to make my dear Mum feel better.

Although our offices and the apartments we're staying in are
over 1 1/2 hours from the city center, I've already gotten two
phone calls from my newsy friends about it. One said, "You're
kidding, you're going to head into the middle of this?" I'm actually
not that concerned about my personal safety, but
perhaps I should chat to the people here and see if Hyderabad
might be better for the first week. Especially since the Mumbai
airport was one of the places targeted. However, the chances
of my being hit by lighting, or getting into a car accident
on the way to work are probably much higher than my
being involved in a terrorist incident in a city of 13+ million.
That would put me in the 7.692e-08 chance category...

Luckily I'm not actually there while it's happening, and I
have the option of discussing the travel with the folks here.
However, I am concerned about my friend Fran, who was due
to come back to Mumbai in a day or so, not to mention all the
fine people at R&H in Mumbai itself!

Here's a link from Google Earth on the attacks themselves.

Nothing like making your first foray to India an adventure like
terrorist attacks!

Comments