Mom Passed Away Today

Dearest Friends,

This is the sort of thing so much better by voice than by email, but there are some thoughts I wanted to convey that are easier for me to write than to say right now. First I want to thank each of you for yor help and support since my Mom was first diagnosed. You have each shown me great kindnesses, and I have appreciated each gesture immensely. Thank you so much for your warmth, love and support.

Mom passed away very quietly today at the VA Hospice Ward in Palm Beach. Dad, Michelle and I were all there, and I was holding her hand at the time. However, to be honest none of us expected it. Not even when I saw her breathing slow, did I really come to terms with the fact she was passing. It was Michelle who had noticed she had finally stopped breathing. She passed at approx 2:50 pm, EST. We do not think she was experiencing any pain.

Mom had, just before passing, opened her eyes wide for the first time in days, and fixated them on Dad, who was right there at her bedside telling her how much he loved her, and looking right ito her eyes. We thought this was her way of saying goodbye to Dad, after their 50 years of marriage. Mom was 86.

After her passing, and the help and condolences of the very kind hospice staff, Mom's body was prepared for what they refer to at the VA as "The Last Journey". She was placed under the American flag and slowly walked to where her body will be kept until further arrangements can be made. As we all walked down the long corridors of this immense hospital complex, many of the people paused, quietly by the side of the hall and put their hands over their hearts, and thanked Mom for her military service, it was very respectful.

We have to make final arrangements sometime tomorrow and/or Friday, and most likely we will be having a memorial service at the VA Chapel, which is a very beautiful space. This will probably happen some time next week. Please contact me if you would like specific details.

We all consider ourselves very fortunate to have had Mom in our lives. She was a very kind soul, and a quick wit with an easy laugh, and she brought us and others much love and joy over the years. She will be deeply missed.

Sincerely yours,

Bob

Comments

Lori said…
I am sorry I missed your call and I emailed you back. You have my numbers so call if anyone needs anything but I will check in there in a few days. As I said in the email. My Dad, Aunt Ernie were all there welcoming Auntie Norma up in Heaven...I know that for sure. Now the hard part comes for those left behind and that is where my prayers will go out to you, Michelle & Uncle Charlie. Love you...Lori
jude said…
My deepest sympathies to you and all your family Bob. So much...

I can tell your Mum was an exceptional and wonderful woman.