So we buried Mom last Wednesday

Hi Folks,

I hope you all don't find this too much to put up on the web, but it seems it is mostly relatives reading this site, so seems ok. Also, it's the easiest way for me to share some of these images along with the textual content. Dad saw it, and he thought it was nice, so if he approves of the public showing of these photos, seems ok by me.

Anyway, we had a really nice service for Mom on Wednesday at 2:00 pm EST. Mom is buried at the Lake Worth National Cemetary, and she has a nice place right in the center of one of the main areas there.

When Dad and I arrived, we had to pull into line for where our turn was. The hearse from Hudson Memorial Chapel arrived and pulled infront of us.




Since Mom had military honors, the hearse arrived with the Navy seal on the side.



We waited for awhile and arranged the details of the headstone with the VA representative, and ensured Dad's plot next to Mom. Then when they called us, they lead us to a small pavillion for where the service would be held. It was very simple, covered area with metal benches. There were 4 service "men" (2 were service women) waiting for us by the little covered area where we said our words over Mom. Mom's coffin was draped in a flag when it left the hearse, and I helped pull it out of the hearse and walk it over to the pavillion.

The full military honors was really nice. I was pretty good until a young woman on a bugle started playing taps, and then my water works started for a bit. Then two service personnel took the flag off the coffin, folded it very slowly and carefully, and presented to their senior officer. He then presented it to Dad, in strict military fashion, and then gave us condolences for our loss.

Dad got up and said a few words, and read a really nice poem from Tennyson called "Crossing the Bar:"


Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea.

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew
from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell.
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our
bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

It was really very moving. Dad repeated several times that day that Mom was going to see her Pilot.



After the flag was removed, we were able to place our flowers on the casket. First went on Michelle's cross and flowers, then a spray I purchased that had the words "Loving Wife and Mother" and then the wreath from Glen.





Then I got up and read the note that was included with Michelle's flowers:

'The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you,
the Lord turn his face towards you and give you peace'

Love your daughter Michelle

and then I said a few simple words about Mom, and followed up with a poem I found on Mom and Dad's bedroom wall, which we think was in a painting done by Grandma Emboden:

I'd like to sow the barren spots with
all the flowers of the earth,
To leave a path where those who come
should find but gentle mirth;
And when at last I am called upon
to join the heavenly throng,
I'd like to feel along my way
I'd left no sign wrong.

That seemed so much like Mom to me, that it seemed very appropriate to me to read.



Then, with tears in our eyes they took the casket away. We asked that Michelle's cross be buried with Mom's casket, and our flowers and Glen's layed on top of the grave after. The way it works at the VA, you can not accompany the casket to the grave, they lower it in themselves, and you can come and visit the graves after 4:15 when they are all covered. So we watched from afar as they lowered Mom into the ground, and then left to wait for when we could return.

So, in a tradition that we thought Mom would appreciate, we went for supper at Cracker Barrel.

Finally, around 4:30 we got back to the gravesite, and found Mom's plot and flowers, and Dad's stand-in marker next to her site as well.









Finally, we took a 'pocket cross' Mom carried with her, and buried it just above her grave as well:



here is a close up of the poem:



So like Mom, a modest, quiet, private relationship with God. Very Lutheran in some ways it seems to me.

After taking a few more pictures, and centering the flowers, we finally headed home. Dad was very relieved to see Mom well taken care of and that her troubles were over, and she was laid to rest with love and respect.

Yesterday we met with Pastor Leopard (no, really, that's his name) at the VA Hospital and we have set the time and date of the memorial to be 2:00-4:00 pm in the Veteran's Administration hospital chapel, on Saturday the 18th. I will be sending out announcements, and those who have already tendered their regrets can just keep them as momentos.

With all our love,

Bob and Charlie

Comments

JanScott said…
Uncle Charlie & Bob...
Thanks for posting this. The Navy Seal on the hearse...very nice touch.

Bob: you did a great job. Auntie Norma would be very proud.

I'm so glad that Jessica can make it.
Love,
Jan
JanScott said…
As I read Tennyson's poem about "going to see my pilot," I naturally thought of my Dad...a pilot, too!
Love,
Jan
Lori said…
Thank you for posting this, it especially is very meaningful for the people like myself who were unable to attend. The flowers were beautiful and the poems that were read. I know Auntie Norma was looking down on all of you with pride and love. I love the picture at the end of the blog...

Love, Lori & Paul
Mister Bob said…
Hi Lori and Jan,

Thanks for the nice feedback. I was hoping you guys would like it. It was good for me to do as well, of course.

I just finished a small DVD for the memorial and after Saturday I'll see if I can post a web version of that video too, tho it may be too long to upload here. Alternately I can make you guys a copy and send it along.

With a big hug,
Bob