Mom in hospital still, very precarious

Here is what I heard from Dad tonight, Mom is out of emergency, and she has been moved to a room at the VA. However, she is disoriended, probably because her kidney is not working and she has uremia. Apparently earlier. she tried to take the iv lines out of her arms, so they've had to sedate her.

They have given her 2 1/2 bags (as of when Dad left) of saline solution with electrolytes to help restart mom's kidney. I also talked to Dr. Sue, and she thought that if Mom came in last night as was still alive, that was a good sign. Though it is hard to say.

Dad said that one of the doctors did say that it's possible her heart might stop, due to the lack of electrolytes and the fact that she's so weak. Also, in talking to Sue, if her kidney is not functioning, it's possible the potassium may build up in her system, which would poison her heart.

I have just emailed Dad some questions for the doctors to ask about mom's creatinine levels and potassium levels. If she makes it through the night, then by tomorrow morning we should have a better idea of her kidney function. It is also possible that Dad could ask about putting her on dialysis to clean out her system.

If her heart stops the hospital will resusitate her, as mom does not have a 'do not resusitate' order. That's about all I know right now.

Comments

jude said…
Hi Bob, I have been following your blog since it was your trip to India, and feel so sad to be reading what you are all going through now. I just wanted to say I am thinking of you, and all your family, especially your Dad. I know this is an incredibly difficult time, something we all face, and there is nothing that makes it easy. Just sending you lots of love from very far away. No need to reply....
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mister Bob said…
Jude, thank you so much for your kind words.

Michelle, I have been emailing you information. Have you not been getting those emails? I have been sending them to the lilly.cassidy email address before posting here, but I have gotten no responses. - Bob